Hiring Foreign Workers through LMIA in Saskatchewan

Canadian and Saskatchewan-based businesses often face worker shortages across industries and hire foreign workers through LMIA. The lack of workers has a net negative effect on Canadian businesses. Hiring foreign workers can address the challenges of worker shortages. As a business owner, you will also need to understand what is LMIA

Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a government-approved document that authorizes an employer to hire a foreign worker. The condition being, the worker is hired temporarily to address the short term employment concerns. 

An employer is also required to search and exhaust all options to hire a worker from within Canada before applying for an LMIA. An employer is also required to continue to explore and hire candidates once there is the availability of workers. 

Here are the 10 things you need to know about hiring temporary foreign workers through LMIA:

Not all jobs require LMIA. 

Most jobs in Canada will require an LMIA when hiring a foreign worker. However, there are some jobs where you do not need LMIA. These are called LMIA exempt jobs. You can check out thelist of jobs here that do not require an LMIA.

You will need to find the code that best matches your job requirements and use that in the offer of employment. 

LMIA for High Wage jobs

To get an LMIA, you will need to apply to Employment and social development in Canada. As an employer, you must comply with the program requirements for LMIA. Requirements for jobs will vary based on the jobs that you are applying to. There is a processing fee of $1000 to cover the cost of applying for the LMIA. You will also need to provide a transition plan for the worker you are hiring unless you are hiring caregivers in personal households and health care institutions. 

ESDC also requires employers to advertise and make efforts to hire workers locally and should have proof of advertisements using mediums that are consistent with the job search. More details can be found here. 

LMIA for Low-wage jobs

If you are hiring for low wage positions such as food server, waiter, dishwasher, etc. you will still need to try and find workers locally before applying for LMIA. A successful LMIA application will be based on several factors including:

  • Business legitimacy
  • Cap on the proportion of low wage workers

Some exemptions to the cap are for jobs such as farm managers, supervisors, and workers, caregiver positions, seasonal jobs, etc.

How to recruit for LMIA jobs

When looking to hire foreign workers, you will need to look for candidates with the skills and experience you need in your business. Recruitment efforts should include advertising on the Government of Canada’s job bank. You must also include two other recruitment channels that are consistent with the jobs that you are looking to fill. Each of these methods should include advertising on channels to target underrepresented groups such as newcomers, a person with disabilities, youth, indigenous, etc. 

Wages and salaries

If you want to hire foreign workers through LMIA, your wages and salaries offered will determine the stream (high wage or low wage) that you need to apply for LMIA. Each province has its median wage. 

Use of the third party

The government of Canada allows employers and businesses to utilize the expertise and services of third party consultants or recruiters to hire foreign workers. Before using the services of a third party, you must make sure that the service providers are in good standing with the ICCRC and have sound knowledge of recruitment best practices. 

Greentech resources specialize in hiring foreign workers in Saskatchewan for businesses and organizations in Canada. We work with top companies like New Holland, Case, CAT, Burger King, A&W, etc. in hiring foreign workers. 

Let us help you hire foreign workers and grow your business. 


  • Dilli

    March 21, 2024 - 5:27 PM

    Hello Sir,
    seeking to work in SK as i am close WP in ontario looking to move SK if you have LMIA jobs that can lead PR in future please revert back to me.

    Thanks in advance.

    • admin

      March 22, 2024 - 2:47 PM

      Hi Dilli,

      Please share your resume to info@gtrworldwide.com (also your education & english test result). Our team will check and contact you if we have available options for you.

  • xichan

    March 27, 2024 - 4:36 PM

    Hi.. Hope all well… I want to know about the SINP program.. Is it working or on hold? Some ppl saying SINP all programs have been paused since 21 March 2024. is ths right? especially for International Skilled Worker program: Job offer


    • admin

      April 4, 2024 - 11:21 AM

      It is active Xichan. Only SINP Hard to fill is temporarily paused for review

  • Nazia Grover

    April 24, 2024 - 11:10 PM

    I’m actually looking to get LMIA for my brother in India.

    Please let me know if you deal with this stuff..
    Thank you

  • smortergiremal

    May 2, 2024 - 3:41 AM

    I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Leave A Comment

GTR Immigration - Free Discussion in June